Here are a few reasons clients hire outside computer forensic experts instead of using internal personnel:
- Digital forensics requires specialized expertise and software that often are unavailable in-house.
- Performing data collections without appropriate forensic software can alter or omit key data, exposing you to legal risk.
- Internal IT resources have vital roles in maintaining core institutional operations, and diverting such resources risks business disruption.
- The best computer forensics experts are able to communicate highly technical concepts in a manner easily understandable to finders of fact, which is not a core function for IT personnel.
- If something goes wrong, you have much stronger argument that you acted reasonably if you retained a reputable expert, and it will be much harder for the other side to argue the mistake in fact was deliberate.
- Your case is important, and you want the best people working on it.